The Innovation Act has passed in the House. Now it's time to action in the Senate.
Dial the number above, you'll be prompted for your zip code, and you will be connected to your senator. Urge your senator to take a stand against patent trolls and vote for the Innovation Act (H.R. 3309) this week.
- "Hello. I am one of your constituents, and I am calling you in support of H.R. 3309, the Innovation Act. The Innovation Act goes a long way to fight patent trolls, bad actors who are taking advantage of the patent system and are a drain on our economy. The House passed the bill with a bipartisan 325-91. Please support the Innovation Act in the Senate."
- If you'd like, mention a few words on why you support legislation combating trolls (Has a troll harmed your business? Another business in your district? Do you worry about the threat of patent trolls?)
- After your call, be sure to share this page on Twitter, on Facebook, and on other social networks.
Don't want to give a call? You can email your senator using EFF's Action Center.
The details: the House of Representatives passed the Innovation Act of 2013 (H.R. 3309), the best troll-killing bill we’ve seen yet, with a bipartisan vote of 325-91. The Innovation Act will make life harder for the trolls by:
- making it easier and cheaper to fight against the trolls in court
- requiring trolls to make their cases for infringement publicly and with specifics
- protecting end users and consumers when they face suits from patent trolls
The Senate is considering a few other bills that take on the troll problem, but none are as strong as the Innovation Act. Most elected officials do not understand how dramatically trolls threaten the American innovation economy. Jobs are lost, companies shuttered, and they cost our country $29 billion dollars per year. Your call right now is vitally important.